American International Group Inc (AIG): Today's Featured Insurance Loser
American International Group (AIG) pushed the Insurance industry lower today making it today's featured Insurance loser. The industry as a whole closed the day down 0.9%. By the end of trading, American International Group fell 62 cents (-1.8%) to $34.14 on average volume. Throughout the day, 12.3 million shares of American International Group exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 12.4 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $34-$35.05 after having opened the day at $35.04 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $34.76. Other company's within the Insurance industry that declined today were: Prudential Financial (PRU), down 10.1%, Phoenix Companies (PNX), down 9%, Radian Group (RDN), down 7.6%, and Life Partners Holdings (LPHI), down 6.5%. American International Group, Inc. engages in the provision of insurance products and services for the commercial, institutional, and individual customers in the United States and internationally. The company operates in three segments: Chartis, SunAmerica Financial Group, and Aircraft Leasing. American International Group has a market cap of $61.59 billion and is part of the financial sector. The company has a P/E ratio of four, above the average insurance industry P/E ratio of 3.6 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 49.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. Currently there are six analysts that rate American International Group a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and nine rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates American International Group as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, notable return on equity and attractive valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share and weak operating cash flow.
- You can view the full American International Group Ratings Report.
- Use our insurance section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV