A surfeit of obesity experts on the panel could swing the outcome either way. They may look at lorcaserin's weak efficacy and safety risks and vote against the drug; or they might take a sympathetic view, as Haley theorizes, and decide they want more pharmacological options to treat obesity. If that happens, lorcaserin could get a positive vote.
I've observed all of the obesity drug panels over the past two years and I haven't seen much doe-eyed sympathy expressed by obesity experts. On the contrary, they're a tough crowd to please, scarred by the troubles and scandals of previous weight-loss drugs, eager not to repeat the same mistakes.
While Thursday's panel is about lorcaserin, I suspect Vivus' Qnexa will play an indirect role in the deliberations. These panel experts and FDA know that Qnexa is likely to be approved soon, which means the need for a pharmacological option to treat obesity is not unmet for long. This raises the regulatory bar on lorcaserin.
@torams asks, "Hi Adam, what's your opinion on ALXA FDA approval."Alexza Pharmaceuticals (ALXA) is expected to hear from FDA later today on the approval decision for Adasuve, an inhaled therapy for the treatment of agitation in patients with schizophrenia. My guess: FDA rejects Adasuve. Update: After this column was written, FDA rejected Adasuve due to unresolved manufacturing problems. While on the topic of FDA Drug Approvals, I want to formally congratulate the winners in my FDA Drug Approval Contest. As you may recall, 60 contestants battled over the past four months to see who could most accurately predict the results of 15 FDA drug approval decisions. Taking the top prize with an astonishing 14-1 record was Clay, a Texas accountant and avid biotech investor.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV