- AIG reports first-quarter earnings per share of $1.65.
- Analysts were expecting EPS of $1.12.
- AIG's Chartis unit reported operating income of $1 billion in the first quarter of 2012, compared to a $424 million loss a year earlier.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- AIG (AIG) reported after-tax operating net income of $3.1 billion, or $1.65 a share, as sales of once-toxic subprime assets and a rebound of its property-casualty unit lifted profitability.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for AIG to earn $1.12 per share compared with $1.30 a year earlier.
AIG's insurance unit, Chartis, rebounded during the first quarter and earned $1 billion in operating income versus an operating loss of $424 million a year earlier.Limited catastrophe losses spared Chartis' earnings, although the unit reported an 8.5% decrease in commercial premiums in what AIG argues was an effort to restructure the business and become more "selective" about the risks it underwrites. First-quarter earnings also included the sale of several non-core businesses to repay its multibillion U.S. government bailout. In March, AIG sold 1.72 billion shares of its Asia-based AIA Group and used the $5.6 billion in proceeds to pay off Uncle Sam. Later in the month, the Federal Reserve unloaded $1.6 billion in once-toxic subprime AIG assets. "AIG has again delivered another strong quarter with our core insurance businesses all posting profits," said CEO Robert Benmosche in a statement. "We also continue to make good on our promise to help the U.S. government profit from its investment in AIG."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV