U.S., Canada Will Not Support Euro Bailout: Does It Matter?
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- When it comes to eurozone solutions, it is interesting how different ideas take hold. The current idea is that if there is a big enough firewall, all will be well. This is the position of IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde and the strong eurozone countries.
So far, there is more than $1 trillion in the euro firewall, and the IMF is trying to raise more. The U.S. is at best lukewarm and has made no commitment. And just yesterday, Canadian Finance Minister Flaherty said "no" firewall monies for the eurozone.
So there is already $1 trillion available plus the $320 billion the IMF has already raised. How will more firewall funding end the euro crisis? The table below provides a snapshot of the current economic situation in the eurozone area.
Note the differences within the euro area. Germany's GDP is growing and it has a 5.5% unemployment rate. In the other countries listed, GDP is falling which means the unemployment rates of Spain (24.2%), Greece (19.4%) and Portugal (14.4%) will increase further (see table below)Spain and Greece have huge deficits. Greece and Italy have large government debts. And while Germany is running a current account surplus of 5.2%, the other countries are running large deficits. Back to the firewall. How exactly will this firewall help eliminate these imbalances? And this in an area that must have the same monetary and fiscal policy for all its countries? It won't. All the firewall can do is protect the banks. As I have
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV