NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Friday's session is all about the April jobs report.
It's really as simple as that. The current consensus is for nonfarm payrolls to have swelled by 162,000 last month, according to Briefing.com. Excluding the impact of government employment changes, nonfarm private payrolls are pegged at 167,000. The unemployment rate is seen hovering at 8.2%.
Meeting those expectations would be a step in the right direction after March's dismal 120,000 performance, but Wall Street's confidence has been shook. The Automatic Data Processing report on Wednesday was well short, and while a lot of lip service is paid to the ADP data being unreliable, traders seem loathe to ignore it this time around. After all, the solid read on weekly initial jobless claims Thursday morning was only good about three minutes of positive trading before all three major U.S. equity indices sank below the flat line.
Right now, it feels like where April's number comes in is really anyone's guess. The recent data has been that hard to draw any conclusions from.UBS offered up a tidbit of hope for the bulls on Thursday, noting the ADP data has been "much weaker" than the official government numbers in April the past two years. "In 2011, the ADP initial reading was 179k, BLS
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV