Recently, Ubben and ValueAct upped ownership of their largest holding, Motorola Solutions, by buying shares directly from Carl Icahn, who followed the fund manager at Monday's summit with a starkly different message.
Occasionally, the conventional activist speaks up through Ubben: ValueAct's influence on the splits of Sara Lee and cost cuts at Valeant signal that the fund is willing to play the role of a traditional activist. "Could I see myself doing a proxy in a bigger company for one board seat? I could," said Ubben.
Nevertheless, for investors who may be tiring of corporate austerity, spinoff plans and the heavy stick wielded by some activists like Icahn and Daniel Loeb of Third Point, among others, Ubben's conviction that now is a good time for patient investment may be a compelling alternative.
Watch for an earnings turnaround at Adobe, Halliburton, and CBRE, and a cycle of M&A and spending at Valeant Pharmaceuticals and Motorola Solutions, to be early reads on whether 2012 is an opportune time for companies to invest, in the same vein that 2009 was a buying opportunity for investors like Ubben.For more on the summit, see how bets on AOL and Barnes & Noble show a kinder and gentler activist is emerging. See Carl Icahn's first 2012 M&A win, for more on more aggressive activist investing. See why timing is key in biotech takeovers for more on M&A ideas. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV