Last up this week is Xcel Energy (XEL), a $13 billion utility stock that's showing traders a bullish pattern of its own this week. XEL is forming a rounding bottom (also sometimes called a saucer pattern), a setup that indicates a gradual shift in control from sellers to buyers. As the name implies, rounding bottoms typically happen when a stock bottoms after a downtrend, but they can also occur after a rally. Don't get harangued by the terminology -- instead, focus on XEL's breakout level.
The time to buy comes when XEL pushes above resistance at $27.50, the price where this stock's uptrend got reversed and the saucer started forming.
In the near-term, XEL has hit some resistance at $27. That means that it's likely XEL will make the move from $27 to $27.50 rather quickly. With shares testing $27 this week, it's going to be important to keep a close eye on this name from this point on. The $26 mark is a good place to put a protective stop once this trade triggers.To see this week's trades in action, check out the High Volume Technicals portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV