I know that in last week's column I said to forget Apple (AAPL), but a new setup in shares is bringing our attention back to the world's biggest company this week. Apple has been absolutely on fire in 2012, rallying more than 44% so far this year after producing similarly massive returns in 2011. Now the question on everyone's mind is whether this momentum stock can keep it going.
A different sort of triangle could give us the answer.
Apple is forming a symmetrical triangle right now, a pattern that's formed by a combination uptrending support and downtrending resistance converging. While the symmetrical triangle isn't as staunchly bullish as an ascending triangle, it's more often than not a continuation pattern. With Apple up so much this year, continuation would be a very bullish sign indeed. The direction that Apple breaks outside of the triangle will ultimately signal the direction of this trade.>>6 Tech Stocks That Rate Better Than Apple It's worth noting that Apple's uptrend has accelerated three times since December (a fourth acceleration between February and April broke). The fact that we've still got three uptrend lines intact as support of AAPL bodes well for shareholders from a risk management standpoint. Shorter-term traders should look to get out on a break below the triangle.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV