BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- Earnings plus Thursday's regular dump of economic data are putting the onus on the fundamentals today, as investors wait to see whether companies hit their numbers -- and whether everything from this morning's jobs data to this afternoon's Fed update hits the mark. A big earnings beat from high-profile General Motors (GM) should help buoy stocks more than most this morning.
Like I said on Monday, "sell in May and go away" isn't looking like a good plan for investors this time around.
After much anxiety, investors are also starting to realize that the correction in the S&P 500 was just that: a pullback following one of the biggest rallies since 2009. With the broad market back above 1400 this week, buyers should start getting comfortable again. The S&P's high water mark this year at 1422 is still an important resistance level -- it's the nearest overhead level where sellers became handily more eager to sell and take gains than buyers were to buy. A push above 1422 indicates to traders that the pocket of excess supply of stocks at that level has been completely absorbed by buying.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV