DOVER, Del., May 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- At their meeting held on May 2, 2012, the Board of Directors of Chesapeake Utilities Corporation (NYSE: CPK) declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.365 per share on the Company's common stock. The Board's action raises the annualized dividend eight cents per share from $1.38 to $1.46 per share, equating to a 5.8% increase over the prior year. The $0.365 per share dividend will be paid July 5, 2012 to all shareholders of record at the close of business on June 15, 2012.
"Chesapeake celebrated its fifth consecutive year of record earnings in 2011 despite a weak and recovering economy. The execution of our strategic plan has been successful due to the talent and personal drive of our employees to identify opportunities and turn them into meaningful results to grow our Company. These results have benefitted our customers, the communities we serve and our shareholders," stated Michael P. McMasters, President and CEO. "With a total shareholder return of 70 percent over the past 5 years, including the acquisition of Florida Public Utilities Company during that time period, the results are truly exceptional and a source of great pride," Mr. McMasters added. "We value the confidence that our shareholders have in Chesapeake. The Board's action to raise the dividend by 5.8 percent today -- the largest annual increase in twenty-five years -- echoes the commitment to continued dividend growth, reaching the Company's dividend payout target and our confidence in achieving sustainable long-term earnings growth."
2012 represents the 51st consecutive year that Chesapeake has paid a dividend to its shareholders. In each of the 51 years, Chesapeake has either maintained or increased its annualized dividend.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV