This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Gibraltar’s Net Sales Increase 17% In First Quarter

Gibraltar Industries, Inc. (Nasdaq: ROCK), a leading manufacturer and distributor of products for building and industrial markets, today reported its financial results for the three months ended March 31, 2012. All financial metrics in this release reflect only the Company’s continuing operations unless otherwise noted.

Management Comments

“Gibraltar performed well in the first quarter, starting 2012 with 17% net sales growth despite persistently weak conditions in the construction markets,” said Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Brian Lipke. “Four percentage points of this growth were organic, with the other 13% driven by recent acquisitions. Our profitability benefited from earnings growth across nearly all businesses. However, those gains were more than offset by lower demand from the West Coast residential market affecting our integration of the Award Metals acquisition and an unfavorable comparison to low equity-compensation costs last year. Looking forward, we believe that our ability to drive continued internal growth in a challenging end market environment while also making accretive acquisitions bodes well for Gibraltar’s future earnings growth.”

“We believe that our success in combining non-residential diversification with a stronger presence in repair, remodeling and replacement in the majority of our markets is the key reason why Gibraltar has been able to generate top-line growth during an unprecedented downturn in the housing sector,” said Henning Kornbrekke, President and Chief Operating Officer. “Executing on this strategy through organic growth, acquisitions and divestitures during the past three years, we have expanded our presence in the nonresidential, industrial and infrastructure end markets to 50% of our current total sales from 30% in 2008. In the residential part of our business, the portion related to housing starts is now down to approximately 25%, with the other 75% being driven by home repair and remodeling activity.”

“We continued our operational improvement initiatives in the first quarter,” Kornbrekke said. “Driven by a strong ongoing commitment to lean initiatives, cost reduction and facilities consolidation, we continued to make progress toward our goal of delivering outstanding customer service while positioning Gibraltar as the low-cost global supplier in its markets. We continued to maintain low levels of working capital while improving our management of commodity costs. Initiatives in these areas during the past three years have enhanced both the operating leverage in our business model as well as the Company’s financial performance.”

1 of 5

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
AAPL $93.99 0.31%
FB $102.01 0.10%
GOOG $682.40 -0.10%
TSLA $151.04 0.38%
YHOO $27.04 1.05%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 15,973.84 +313.66 2.00%
S&P 500 1,864.78 +35.70 1.95%
NASDAQ 4,337.5120 +70.6750 1.66%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs