ISSAQUAH, Wash. (AP) â¿¿ Costco Wholesale Corp.'s revenue from stores open at least a year rose 4 percent in April, but missed Wall Street's expectations.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters forecast a 5.1 percent increase from the wholesale club operator.
This metric is a key gauge of a retailer's health because it excludes results from stores recently opened or closed.
Costco posted a 4 percent rise in the figure in the U.S. and a 3 percent gain abroad.Removing higher gas prices and unfavorable foreign currency translation, revenue at stores in the U.S. open at least a year still rose 4 percent and increased 7 percent internationally. For the total company, the metric rose 5 percent. Costco's said Thursday that its total revenue for the four weeks ended April 29 climbed 7 percent to $7.25 billion. Year-to-date revenue at stores open at least a year jumped 8 percent. The metric was up by that same amount in the U.S. and overseas. Excluding higher gas prices and unfavorable foreign currency translation, the figure rose 7 percent for the period. It was up 6 percent in the U.S. and gained 9 percent abroad. The Issaquah, Wash., company's total revenue for the period increased 10 percent to $63.59 billion. Costco will release its third-quarter results on May 24. The company runs 602 warehouses, including 435 in the U.S. and Puerto Rico, 82 in Canada, 32 in Mexico, 22 in the U.K., 13 in Japan, eight in Taiwan, seven in Korea and three in Australia.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV