MAXIMUS (NYSE: MMS), a leading provider of government services worldwide, today reported financial results for its fiscal second quarter ended March 31, 2012.
Key highlights include:
- Revenue for the second quarter grew 7% to $243.5 million compared to the same period last year.
- Adjusted diluted earnings per share from continuing operations totaled $0.49 for the second quarter.
- The Company generated strong cash in the second quarter with cash provided by operating activities from continuing operations of $41.5 million and free cash flow of $36.4 million.
- Cash and cash equivalents totaled $229.5 million at March 31, 2012.
- Subsequent to quarter end, the Company signed the $450 million extension for its Australian contract.
- On April 30, 2012, MAXIMUS closed its acquisition of Policy Studies Inc. for a cash purchase price of $67 million.
Revenue for the fiscal 2012 second quarter increased 7% to $243.5 million compared to $227.1 million for the same period last year, driven by growth in the Health Services Segment, most notably from the Medicaid managed care expansion in Texas.
The Company is revising its tax rates upward to account for a greater mix of business from higher tax rate jurisdictions. In the second quarter, the Company recorded a discrete tax adjustment expense of $3.0 million, or $0.09 per diluted share, related to higher state taxes. Second quarter earnings also included a benefit of $0.6 million, or $0.01 per diluted share, from a net legal recovery. A normalization table is included in the accompanying financial schedules.As a result, second quarter GAAP income from continuing operations, net of taxes, totaled $14.2 million, or $0.41 per diluted share. Excluding the $0.09 discrete tax expense and the $0.01 legal recovery benefit, adjusted diluted earnings per share from continuing operations totaled $0.49. As expected, adjusted diluted earnings per share from continuing operations were lower compared to last year primarily due to the ramp up of the Work Programme contract in the United Kingdom.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts