Proto Labs, Inc. (NYSE: PRLB), a leading online and technology-enabled quick-turn manufacturer, today announced its financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2012.
Highlights for Q1 2012 include:
- Revenue increased to a record $30.0 million, 34 percent above revenue of $22.3 million in the first quarter of 2011. On a sequential basis, revenue increased 17 percent compared to the fourth quarter of 2011.
- International revenue grew to $7.8 million, or 26 percent of revenue, in the first quarter of 2012 compared to $4.9 million, or 22 percent of revenue in the same quarter in 2011.
- During the first quarter of 2012, revenue from 753 new customer companies totaled $2.9 million and revenue from 2,931 existing customer companies totaled $27.1 million.
- Gross margin was 59.1 percent of revenue in the first quarter of 2012 compared with 62.3 percent in the first quarter of 2011 and 56.8 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Net income totaled $4.8 million, or $0.22 per share. After adding back the after-tax expense of stock compensation, non-GAAP net income was $5.4 million, or $0.24 per share. See “Non-GAAP Financial Measure” below.
“Our first quarter revenue demonstrates the growing demand for our unique, technology-enabled manufacturing services,” said Brad Cleveland, President and CEO of Proto Labs. “We are especially pleased with the growth of new customers as our experience shows that once a customer does business with us, they tend to come back in future periods and do even more business with us. Our marketing and sales engines continue to help drive our customer acquisition and revenue opportunities.”
Additional Q1 highlights include:
- Operating margin was 25.5 percent of revenue compared with 31.7 percent in the first quarter a year ago and 19.1 percent in the 2011 fourth quarter.
- Cash generated through the completion of the initial public offering was $72 million, net of offering expenses. As of March 31, 2012, cash and investment balances totaled $80 million.
- Expenditures on capital equipment were $8.3 million in the first quarter of 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV