MetLife Inc (MET): Today's Featured Insurance Loser
MetLife (MET) pushed the Insurance industry lower today making it today's featured Insurance loser. The industry as a whole closed the day down 0.3%. By the end of trading, MetLife fell 26 cents (-0.7%) to $35.82 on average volume. Throughout the day, 6.8 million shares of MetLife exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 8.2 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $35.16-$35.90 after having opened the day at $35.86 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $36.08. Other company's within the Insurance industry that declined today were: Triple-S Management Corporation (GTS), down 13.5%, Radian Group (RDN), down 9.3%, Kingsway Financial Services (KFS), down 7.5%, and Unico American Corporation (UNAM), down 6.2%. MetLife, Inc., through its subsidiaries, provides insurance, annuities, and employee benefit programs in the United States, Japan, Latin America, the Asia Pacific, Europe, and the Middle East. MetLife has a market cap of $38.32 billion and is part of the financial sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 6.6, equal to the average insurance industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 15.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are 16 analysts that rate MetLife a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and three rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates MetLife as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its reasonable valuation levels, notable return on equity and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself.
- You can view the full MetLife Ratings Report.
- Use our insurance section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV