General Mills Inc. (GIS): Today's Featured Food & Beverage Loser
General Mills (GIS) pushed the Food & Beverage industry lower today making it today's featured Food & Beverage loser. The industry as a whole closed the day up 0.2%. By the end of trading, General Mills fell 24 cents (-0.6%) to $38.69 on light volume. Throughout the day, 2.8 million shares of General Mills exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 4.5 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $38.58-$38.94 after having opened the day at $38.94 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $38.93. Other company's within the Food & Beverage industry that declined today were: Peet's Coffee & Tea (PEET), down 8.1%, Central European Distribution (CEDC), down 7.5%, MGP Ingredients (MGPI), down 7.2%, and Willamette Valley Vineyards (WVVI), down 5.7%. General Mills, Inc. manufactures and markets branded consumer foods worldwide. It also supplies branded and unbranded food products to the foodservice and commercial baking industries. General Mills has a market cap of $25.17 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 16.6, equal to the average food & beverage industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 3.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate General Mills a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and five rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates General Mills as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in stock price during the past year, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally poor debt management on most measures that we evaluated.
- You can view the full General Mills Ratings Report.
- Use our food & beverage section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV