ConocoPhillips (COP) pushed the Basic Materials sector lower today making it today's featured Basic Materials loser. The sector as a whole closed the day down 1%. By the end of trading, ConocoPhillips fell $1.93 (-3.4%) to $54.58 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 14.1 million shares of ConocoPhillips exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 9.2 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $54.43-$55.83 after having opened the day at $55.83 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $56.51. Other company's within the Basic Materials sector that declined today were: Endeavour International (END), down 23.8%, Chesapeake Energy (CHK), down 14.6%, Royale Energy (ROYL), down 12%, and Altair Nanotechnologies (ALTI), down 11.3%. ConocoPhillips operates as an integrated energy company primarily in the United States, Australia, Canada, Norway, Russia, and the United Kingdom. ConocoPhillips has a market cap of $91.19 billion and is part of the energy industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 7.8, equal to the average energy industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 22.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are five analysts that rate ConocoPhillips a buy, two analysts rate it a sell, and seven rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates ConocoPhillips as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its good cash flow from operations and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.
- You can view the full ConocoPhillips Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about COP
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV