RenaissanceRe Holdings Ltd. (NYSE: RNR) today reported net income available to RenaissanceRe common shareholders of $201.4 million or $3.88 per diluted common share in the first quarter of 2012, compared to a net loss attributable to RenaissanceRe common shareholders of $248.0 million or $4.69 per diluted common share in the first quarter of 2011. Operating income available to RenaissanceRe common shareholders was $155.5 million or $2.98 per diluted common share for the first quarter of 2012, compared to an operating loss attributable to RenaissanceRe common shareholders of $242.9 million or $4.59 per diluted common share in the first quarter of 2011. The Company reported an annualized return on average common equity of 25.6% and an annualized operating return on average common equity of 19.7% in the first quarter of 2012, compared to negative 31.3% and negative 30.7%, respectively, in the first quarter of 2011. Book value per common share increased $3.41, or 5.8%, in the first quarter of 2012 to $62.68, compared to an 8.9% decrease in the first quarter of 2011.
See Comments on Regulation G for a reconciliation of non-GAAP measures.
Neill A. Currie, CEO, commented: “In the first quarter of 2012, we generated an annualized operating ROE of over 19% and increased our book value per share by 5.8%. Our results reflect a light catastrophe loss quarter, strong investment returns and favorable development. We also benefited from a successful January 1st renewal season in which we deployed more capital, increased our premiums by over 30% in each of our Cat, Specialty and Lloyd's units, and constructed an attractive portfolio of business.”
FIRST QUARTER 2012 HIGHLIGHTS (1)
- Underwriting income of $196.6 million and a combined ratio of 29.4%, compared to an underwriting loss of $397.2 million and a combined ratio of 230.0%, was primarily driven by the absence of large losses incurred during the first quarter of 2012, compared to the first quarter of 2011, which was negatively impacted by the Australian flooding and the New Zealand and Tohoku earthquakes which had a net negative impact (2) of $427.4 million and added 212.3 percentage points to the combined ratio.
- Gross premiums written increased $53.6 million, or 8.8%, to $664.2 million. Excluding the impact of $Nil and $113.5 million of reinstatement premiums written from large losses in the first quarter of 2012 and 2011, respectively, gross premiums written increased $167.1 million, or 33.6%, primarily due to the catastrophe unit experiencing higher risk-adjusted pricing within its core lines of business during the January 2012 renewals, combined with continued growth within the Lloyd's segment across most lines of business.
- Total investment income of $113.7 million, which includes the sum of net investment income, net realized and unrealized gains (losses) on investments and net other-than-temporary impairments, compared to $55.3 million. The increase in total investment income was primarily due to higher total returns in the Company's fixed maturity investment portfolio as a result of tightening credit spreads during the first quarter of 2012 and higher returns in the Company's private equity investment portfolio.
- Other loss of $39.1 million, compared to other income of $50.1 million, was primarily due to trading losses within the Company's weather and energy risk management operations as a result of the unusually warm weather experienced in parts of the United Kingdom and parts of the United States during the first quarter of 2012. This unit reported a pre-tax loss of $35.5 million and an after-tax loss of $32.7 million. In addition, ceded reinsurance contracts accounted for at fair value incurred a loss of $1.8 million, compared to income of $43.5 million, as a result of net recoverables on the Tohoku earthquake in the first quarter of 2011 which did not reoccur in the first quarter of 2012.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.