American Equity Investment Life Holding Company (NYSE: AEL), a leading underwriter of index and fixed rate annuities, today reported first quarter 2012 operating income 1 of $29.8 million, or $0.46 per diluted common share, compared to first quarter 2011 operating income of $30.6 million, or $0.47 per diluted common share.
Performance highlights for the first quarter of 2012 include:
- Annuity sales for the first quarter of 2012 were $979 million (before coinsurance) compared to first quarter 2011 annuity sales of $1.3 billion (before coinsurance). First quarter 2011 benefited from sales in advance of a rate decrease implemented during that period.
- Total invested assets grew 15% to $24.0 billion at March 31, 2012 compared to total invested assets of $20.8 billion at March 31, 2011.
- Investment spread margin over the cost of money on annuity deposits remained steady at 2.93% for the first quarter of 2012 compared to 2.97% for the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Estimated risk-based capital (“RBC”) ratio at March 31, 2012 remained above target at 343%.
- Book value per outstanding common share (excluding Accumulated Other Comprehensive Income) grew to $16.24 at March 31, 2012 compared to $16.09 at December 31, 2011.
CONSISTENT SPREAD MANAGEMENT
American Equity earned an investment spread margin over the cost of money on annuity deposits of 2.93% for the first quarter of 2012 compared to a spread of 2.97% for the fourth quarter of 2011. The spread remained relatively consistent despite a reduction in the average yield on invested assets to 5.61% for the first quarter of 2012 compared to 5.76% in the fourth quarter of 2011. This decrease was offset by a reduction in the aggregate cost of money on annuity liabilities to 2.68% in the first quarter of 2012 compared to 2.79% in the fourth quarter of 2011. The reduction in the cost of money reflects management actions to maintain spreads despite falling bond yields by adjusting new money and renewal crediting rates to policyholders.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV