NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Visa (V) reported fiscal second-quarter earnings of $1.1 billion, or $1.60 a share, after market close on Wednesday, easily beating the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for a profit of a $1.51 a share.
Revenue for the quarter was $2.6 billion, a 15% increase from last year.
Payments volume growth for the first three months of 2012 was up 11% over the prior year and cross-border volume growth was a positive 16%, the company reported. Total processed transactions for the second quarter were 13 billion, an 8% increase over the prior year.
"Our strong financial performance this quarter was fueled by continued growth of U.S. credit products, strong cross border spending and expansion of Visa's core business in international markets," said Visa CEO Joseph Saunders in a statement. "Across the globe Visa's business continues to expand at a healthy pace, the result of our commitment to continued expansion in our core business as well as our ability to leverage innovative payment technologies."Interested in more on Visa? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV