"Although management seems to be taking the right steps by closing higher cost manufacturing locations, controlling overall operating costs and placing more emphasis on creating demand in new/sustainable markets, we still see headwinds to shares in the current scenario," Deutsche Bank analysts wrote in an April 24 report. "A more appropriate value creating move by management would likely be to sell the current project pipeline to a consortium of strategic investors, in our view. Until management addresses some of the current investor concerns, we expect shares to remain under pressure. Lower price target to $17. Maintain Hold."
Shares of First Solar hit a 52-week low on Wednesday of $17.65. The stock's 52-week high of $142.22 was set on June 30.First Solar trades at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 4.51 times; the average for renewable energy equipment companies is 8.48. For comparison, SunPower (SPWR) has a higher forward P/E of 11.73. Twenty-seven of the 39 analysts who cover First Solar rated it hold. Six analysts gave the stock a buy rating and another six rated it sell. The stock has fallen 46.72% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV