NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It was a mixed finish for stocks Wednesday as investors pondered a disappointing private-sector employment report ahead of Friday's official April jobs data.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average dipped 11 points, or 0.1%, to close at 13,268. The blue-chip index was in negative territory all day but did manage a healthy bounce off a session low of 13,192. On Tuesday, the Dow hit a high of 13,359.60, its best level since late 2007.
The S&P 500 slipped nearly 4 points, or 0.2%, to settle at 1402, trading in a rough range of 11 points.
The Nasdaq added 9 points, or 0.3%, to close at nearly 3060 after running as low as 3029 earlier in the session."People sometimes react emotionally instead of cerebrally [to economic reports]," says Joseph Montero, partner at WeiserMazars. "After the shock value of a report comes out, they sort it out and come back to normal."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV