- Have a plan in mind. If you know where you're vacationing, when you want to go, and what types of activities you'll participate in, then you'll have a better idea of the trip's cost, and you'll be able to budget more effectively.
- Be realistic about the funds you'll need. When you arrive at the destination, will you be eating out at nice restaurants? Seeing shows or attending sporting events? And don't forget to account for the souvenirs you'll want to pick up. Once you have a set budget, stick to it and avoid overspending while vacationing.
- Set a monthly savings goal. Based on your trip budget and the amount of time before the vacation, determine how much you'll need to save every month to build up your trip fund. If you're travelling abroad or going somewhere with high food and lodging costs, this figure might be pretty high. If it's so high that saving is unrealistic, consider rescheduling the trip for a later date.
- Use your planning as a teaching opportunity and talk to your kids about saving, budgeting and spending. If your kids are old enough, engage them in the process and set a goal for them to save a small amount to contribute to the experience.
- Start saving. It's never too early to start saving for travel – especially if you make frequent trips or travel far. Some people prefer a big jar on the kitchen counter, while others will open a new savings account, or utilize short-term investment channels. Either way, pick a method that works for you. And don't be embarrassed to ask for help – family or friends might have creative ideas to help, and financial and banking professionals can advise you on how to meet your goals.
Start Early To Save For Vacation
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts