In the meantime, I've taken a very active role on the company as Chairman. Together with my fellow Board members and the management team, we are committed to getting Nutrisystem business back on the growth trajectory and adding shareholder value. Nutrisystem has a strong balance sheet and the Board of Directors continues to remain focused on returning value to shareholders in the form of quarterly dividend.
With that, I'll turn the call over to Joe Redling.
Thanks Mike. It's great to have you back. Good afternoon and thank you joining us on today's conference call. First quarter results were below our original forecast, but we believe that this is mainly a timing issue. And as David will discuss in a moment, we are reaffirming our full year guidance for both revenues and earnings.During the year we are going to make investments, we believe will be accretive for the full year earnings, even if that result in a short-term hit for the quarter. New customer starts are the key driver of revenue growth and when our metrics indicate, we have the ability to lean into our immediate spend for extended programs that are producing results, we're going to do that for the benefit of the overall year. Two examples that this happened in Q1. In Q1 we converted our Costco program from program cards to gift cards. This was a new element of our offering through the Costco channel this year. We tested and prepared sales velocity and profitability of shaping from a prepaid full program card purchase to a simple $100 gift card program. And the gift card program is the clear winner on all measures. This change shifted about $2 million of revenue from March into Q2, related to cards purchased, but not redeemed. This is a direct result of different redemption patterns of gift cards compared to program cards.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV