ViroPharma (VPHM) pushed the Health Care sector lower today making it today's featured Health Care loser. The sector as a whole closed the day down 0.5%. By the end of trading, ViroPharma fell $2.11 (-9.7%) to $19.64 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 4.8 million shares of ViroPharma exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 1.4 million shares. The stock ranged in price between $19.12-$20.57 after having opened the day at $19.20 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $21.75. Other company's within the Health Care sector that declined today were: Savient Pharmaceuticals (SVNT), down 21.5%, BG Medicine (BGMD), down 16.9%, Herbalife (HLF), down 15.1%, and Graymark Healthcare (GRMH), down 14.2%. ViroPharma Incorporated, a biotechnology company, develops and commercializes therapeutic products that address serious diseases in the United States and internationally. It focuses on developing products used by physician specialists or in hospital settings. ViroPharma has a market cap of $1.54 billion and is part of the drugs industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 13.1, equal to the average drugs industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are down 20.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday. Currently there are seven analysts that rate ViroPharma a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and eight rate it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates ViroPharma as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow.
- You can view the full ViroPharma Ratings Report.
- Use our health care section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about VPHM
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV