Mueller Water Products, Inc. (NYSE: MWA) today reported net sales of $251.5 million and a net loss of $109.8 million ($0.70 per diluted share) for the fiscal 2012 second quarter ended March 31, 2012, the net loss due almost entirely to the sale of its U.S. Pipe business. On April 1, 2012, the Company sold U.S. Pipe for $89.8 million in cash, subject to working capital and other adjustments, and reimbursement for certain potential liabilities estimated at $10.2 million. U.S. Pipe’s operating results have been reclassified as discontinued operations, and its assets and liabilities have been reclassified as items held for sale, for all periods presented.
Summarized consolidated results of continuing operations for the 2012 second quarter compared to the 2011 second quarter results are:
- Net sales for the 2012 second quarter increased 6.8 percent to $251.5 million from $235.5 million for the 2011 second quarter.
- Operating income for the 2012 second quarter increased to $10.6 million from $9.8 million for the 2011 second quarter. Adjusted operating income for the 2012 second quarter increased to $11.5 million from $10.9 million for the 2011 second quarter.
- Adjusted net loss per share for the 2012 second quarter improved to $0.01 from $0.02 for the 2011 second quarter.
- Adjusted EBITDA for the 2012 second quarter of $26.7 million was essentially flat with adjusted EBITDA for the 2011 second quarter.
Subsequent to the end of the quarter, the Company announced the redemption of $22.5 million in principal amount of its 8.75 percent Senior Unsecured Notes on May 18, 2012. The Company also repaid $48.0 million that was outstanding at March 31, 2012 under its asset based lending agreement.
“Since our last conference call, we have taken several significant steps to strengthen the company,” said Gregory E. Hyland, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Mueller Water Products. “We completed the divestiture of U.S. Pipe and reduced our total outstanding debt and net debt leverage. The divestiture of U.S. Pipe enables us to focus on Mueller Co.’s higher-margin base business, as well as on our newer technology businesses - Mueller Systems and Echologics.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV