Behind the Scenes of a Small Biz: In April, the Postman Rings
That means selling stamps, stamped envelopes, Express Mail service, First Class Mail service and registered mail, among other things, according to the website. Retailers are provided USPS branding rights and signage.
"Operating a Contract Postal Unit increases foot traffic and provides additional customer convenience," the USPS website says.
"Greeting cards and post offices go together hand in hand. They're very lucrative. It makes the store a real go-to destination," Designer Greetings spokeswoman Suzanne Haines says.
Haines couldn't quantify the number of Card$mart stores that offer the services.Since the conference Norman has been trying to get into contact with the appropriate USPS representative, but so far she hasn't been successful. "I'm hoping not to miss the boat on this," she says. "Every day customers come in and ask to buy stamps" and as an accommodation, Card$mart will sell a small amount of stamps. But Norman sees opportunity in the "underutilized space" in the back of her store. "It seems that it is a viable way to make some money. The bottom line is if we're doing something we have to do it to make money," she says. "It Always Comes Back to Lotto" Norman is also putting together the pieces for another revenue experiment that's planned to coincide with their one-year anniversary as store owners this summer. Early on, Norman admitted that she did not have a good first experience with local coupon advertising, but she's trying it again. This time, she plans to launch the advertising with NY Lottery promotion. Lotto is a big customer attraction to Card$mart. Last month, the Mega Millions phenomenon brought a welcome sales surprise to a typically quiet month. "The intention is to bring more customers into the store. That's always the intention, just like selling stamps," she says. "If you become a postal center
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV