In identifying dividend growers, I look for companies that not only have a history of dividend increases, but also the ability to continue this trend in the future. Companies with lower dividend-payout ratios, and light debt loads are typically good candidates.
To that end, I looked at U.S. companies that have the following attributes:
- Market caps larger than $5 billion
- Dividend payout ratios of less than 50% for past two years
- Dividends that have been raised for at least the past seven years
- Dividend growth rates of at least 10% for past five years
- Long-term debt-to-equity ratios of less than 50%
About three dozen companies made the grade. The results are a veritable who's who of large-cap names.
Retailers are well-represented on the list. They include Costco (COST), CVS Caremark (CVS), Lowe's (LOW), Family Dollar Stores (FDO), Walgreen (WAG), TJX Cos. (TJX), Ross Stores (ROST) and Tiffany (TIF).10 Stocks Poised to Rise in Apple's Wake >> In technology, there's Xilinx (XLNX), Texas Instruments (TXN), Intel (INTC) and Analog Devices (ADI). Food companies include Hormel (HRL) and Archer Daniels Midland (ADM). From consumer products, there's Procter & Gamble (PG) and Church & Dwight (CHD). From energy, there's Murphy Oil (MUR), ConocoPhillips (COP), and Occidental Petroleum (OXY). That's just the tip of the iceberg. There are also many smaller companies that fit the bill. I'll save that for a future column. -- Written by Jonathan Heller, president of KEJ Financial Advisors and a contributor to TheStreet and Real Money. As of publication, he had no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV