Obama Travels to Afghanistan to Sign Support Deal
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- President Barack Obama is expected to appear Tuesday night in Kabul, Afghanistan to address the American people about a drawdown of U.S. troops in the country.
The president traveled to Afghanistan to sign a strategic partnership agreement with Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
|Obama's trip coincides with the one-year anniversary of Osama Bin Laden's death.|
"Neither Americans nor the Afghan people asked for this war yet for a decade we've stood together," Obama reportedly said at the signing. "Today we're agreeing to be long-term partners."The announcement by the White House press pool came after morning chatter surfaced that the president had flown to Afghanistan -- the White House and the U.S. Embassy in Kabul initially denied those reports. The press pool report said Obama and Karzai have signed a ten-page partnership agreement to pledge U.S. support for Afghanistan for a decade after 2014. That's when NATO forces plan to complete their combat mission there. Officials acknowledged, the report said, that Obama would mention during his television address the U.S. raid that killed Osama Bin Laden a year ago Tuesday. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV