During the March quarter, we experienced an improvement in our equipment business which was largely driven by a higher ball bonder demand. The increase in ball bonder volumes was largely due to a rebound in demand from OSAT customers. 84.8% of wire bonders sold during this quarter were to OSAT customers, an increase from the prior quarter.
Demand from copper-capable wire bonders continues to remain strong. Approximately 17.4% of our wire bonders were sold as copper-capable. We estimate around 25% of bonder in the field are copper-capable. This implies that we’re still at the early stages of the broadening transition.
We anticipate the trim copper capacity in the field is dramatically lower than the approximately 70% of integrated circuits that make (inaudible) to copper. Considering this future capacity need in addition to our (inaudible) product offering strong OSAT share and sustain on investments, we believe the copper foundation will continue to be a meaningful demand driver for years to come.
Over 8% of our ball bonder store were configured to the LED market. We continue to work with LED customers where our products are technically best suited and where we have a competitive advantage.Turning to wedge bonders, our volumes were soft in the March quarter compared to the December quarter due to lower demand in all markets and segments including power semiconductors, automotive and industrial. However we have started to see an improvement in demand and we anticipate rapid volumes to increase in the coming months.In summary, we are pleased with our business performance in the March quarter. We continue to drive revenue margin and operational improvements. At the same time our focus remains on expanding our technology and market leadership while pursuing growth areas that can reduce the uncertainty of our business.Read the rest of this transcript for free on seekingalpha.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV