Dow Today: Alcoa (AA) Higher
The Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) is trading up 104 points (+0.8%) at 13,317 as of Tuesday, May 1, 2012, 1:35 p.m. ET. During this time, 369.3 million shares of the 30 Dow components have changed hands vs. an average daily trading volume of 743.8 million. The NYSE advances/declines ratio sits at 2,350 issues advancing vs. 628 declining with 108 unchanged. The Dow component leading the way higher looks to be Alcoa (NYSE:AA), which is sporting a 20-cent gain (+2.1%) bringing the stock to $9.94. This single gain is lifting the Dow Jones Industrial Average by 1.51 points or roughly accounting for 1.5% of the Dow's overall gain. Volume for Alcoa currently sits at 16.1 million shares traded vs. an average daily trading volume of 25 million shares. Alcoa has a market cap of $10.39 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are up 12.5% year to date as of Monday's close. The stock's dividend yield sits at 1.2%. Alcoa, Inc. engages in the production and management of primary aluminum, fabricated aluminum, and alumina. The company operates in four segments: Alumina, Primary Metals, Flat-Rolled Products, and Engineered Products and Solutions. The company has a P/E ratio of 26.4, below the average metals & mining industry P/E ratio of 27.1 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. TheStreet Ratings rates Alcoa as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity.
- You can view the full Alcoa Ratings Report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV