ST. LOUIS, May 1, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Peabody Energy (NYSE: BTU) Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gregory H. Boyce announced at the company's annual shareholders meeting that 2011 marked the best year in Peabody Energy's 129-year history. The company achieved its strongest safety performance and best financial results on record.
"Best practices in safety and operations drive strong results," said Boyce. "Since 2007, our revenues have increased 80 percent; EBITDA has more than doubled; and operating cash flows are up 260 percent. International operations contribute half of the company's earnings, and we expect the Australian and Asian share to rise even more going forward."
Highlights from 2011 include:
- A new global safety record of 1.92 incidents per 200,000 hours worked. This reflects a nearly 30 percent improvement over the company's 2010 performance and the fourth consecutive year of improvement;
- Record financial results, including new marks for revenues, operating profit, EBITDA, net income, earnings per share and operating cash flows; and
- More than 30 major safety, environmental and corporate honors around the world. Peabody earned recognition from the Foreign Policy Association for ethical and environmental responsibility.
Boyce said the global supercycle for coal was alive and well, with rising electricity generation and steel demand in China and India driving strong demand for coal. The International Energy Agency recently forecast a robust 65 percent increase in global coal use by 2035, projecting that coal will surpass oil and natural gas as the largest energy source in the world within the next quarter century.Boyce added that Peabody is well positioned against the backdrop of favorable long-term supply and demand fundamentals for the global coal industry. He commented on multiple catalysts for the company's continued growth, including:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV