"Master Trust data continue to point to favorable trends in credit quality," Sterne Agee analysts wrote in a April 16 report. "We expect modest overall loan growth, but increased spend and increases in related revenues."Shares of Discover Financial hit a 52-week high on Tuesday of $34.75. The stock's 52-week low of $20.51 was set on Aug. 8. Discover's forward P/E is 8.97; the average for consumer financial companies is 10.17. For comparison, Visa (V) has a higher forward P/E of 17.87. Twenty of the 27 analysts who cover Discover rated it buy; seven analysts gave the stock a hold rating. The stock has risen 44.04% year to date.
PNC Financial "While linked-quarter comparisons are difficult following the closing of the RBC acquisition in 1Q12, operating trends generally remained strong," Goldman Sachs analysts wrote in an April 18 report. "Excluding acquired RBC assets, we estimate 1.4% linked quarter loan growth (3.7% commercial, -1.6% consumer) and flat net interest income. Fee income increased 7% linked quarter, largely due to better asset management (equity market driven), a strong quarter of mortgage banking (originations up 13%, gain-on sale wider similar to other peers), and some benefit from the RBC acquisition." Shares of PNC hit a 52-week high Tuesday of $67.89. The stock's 52-week low of $42.70 on Aug. 23. PNC's forward P/E is 9.88; the average for its peers is 11.05. For comparison, BB&T (BBT) has a higher forward P/E of 10.9. Twenty-three of the 35 analysts who cover PNC rated it buy. Fourteen analysts gave the stock a hold rating and one rated it sell. The stock has risen 17.22% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV