NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The following stocks reached 52-week highs on Tuesday: Verizon (VZ), Intel (INTC), Comcast (CMCSA), Discover Financial Services (DFS) , PNC Financial (PNC), Brinker International (EAT) and La-Z-Boy (LZB).
"Verizon lagged the market in 1Q12, delivering -4.7% stock price return and a -3.47% total return (compares to S&P total return of 12.59% and AT&T total return of 4.80%)," Credit Suisse analysts wrote in an April 20 report. "Verizon now trades at an 18% premium to the market on consensus 2012 EPS. The multiple is probably justified given higher earnings growth and an 5% dividend yield; however, it leaves little room for multiple expansion. With estimates that are largely in-line with consensus, we are staying Neutral for now."
Shares of Verizon hit a 52-week high Tuesday of $40.84. The stock's 52-week low of $32.28 was set on Aug. 9.Verizon trades at an estimated price-to-earnings ratio for next year of 14.63; the average for fixed-line telecommunications companies is 24.52. For comparison, AT&T (T) has a lower forward P/E of 13. Twenty-one of the 38 analysts who cover Verizon rated it hold. Sixteen analysts gave the stock a buy rating and one rated it sell. The stock has risen 1.67% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV