Will There Be a Spring Stock Market Slide?
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
In both 2010 and 2011 an early run-up in the stock market, similar to this year's, pushed stocks up about 10% for the year by mid-April.
Chart 1: Economic Surprises and Market Performance
Citigroup Economic Surprise Index and S&P 500 Less 10-Year Treasury 3-Month Total Return The Citigroup Economic Surprise Index is an unmanaged index and cannot be invested in directly. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. 3. Consumer confidence (red) -- In 2010 and 2011, early in the year the daily tracking of consumer confidence measured by Rasmussen rose to highs just before the stock market collapse as the financial crisis erupted. The peak in optimism gave way to a selloff as buying faded. Investor net purchases of domestic equity mutual funds began to plunge and turned sharply negative in the following months. This measure of confidence is once again beginning to fall from the highs.
Chart 2: Consumer Confidence
Rasmussen Daily Consumer Confidence Index Source: LPL Financial, Bloomberg data The Rasmussen Daily Consumer Confidence Index is an unmanaged index and cannot be invested in directly. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV