MENLO PARK, Calif. (TheStreet) -- With Facebook getting ready to going public shortly, the social networking giant is trying to do something for those who can't afford to buy its stock: spread the word on organ donation.
Facebook announced on Tuesday that it will be bringing a new feature to users' profiles, allowing them to share whether or not they are organ donors in their timeline. Users can share stories and link to the official donor registry inside the United States.
CEO Mark Zuckerberg and COO Sheryl Sandberg talked about the power of organ donation, and the power of sharing this information publicly. "Medical experts believe that broader awareness about organ donation could go a long way toward solving this crisis. And we believe that by simply telling people that you're an organ donor, the power of sharing and connection can play an important role," Zuckerberg and Sandberg wrote on the company blog.
Facebook has been extremely busy in recent weeks, with organ donation just one of the company's recent news items ahead of its eventual IPO. Facebook also purchased social-networking photo sharing site Instagram for $1 billion.Additionally, the Menlo Park, Calif.-based company struck a deal with Microsoft (MSFT) to purchase $550 million worth of patents Microsoft previously acquired from AOL (AOL). Facebook may also push its initial public offering back to June from the current expectation for a May debut, mainly because of the recent spate in deal activity. The company also recently filed an amended S-1, showing declining revenues and rising costs. Interested in more on Microsoft? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV