The Secrets Behind Apple's Super-Low Tax Rate
By Mark Russell, Newser Staff
Apple is one of the most profitable companies in the world--and also one of the most aggressive and creative at avoiding taxes, reports the New York Times, which outlines a number of the company's tax-avoidance strategies. Among them:
- Despite its well-known Cupertino, California, headquarters, Apple partly avoids the state's 8.84% corporate tax rate by directing some of its profits to a subsidiary in Nevada, where there are no corporate state taxes. (Almost poetically, that subsidiary is named Braeburn Capital, after a tart yet sweet type of apple.)
- Apple's sales teams in high-tax countries sell on behalf of subsidiaries in low-tax countries, avoiding income taxes.
- It employs a handful of employees in Luxembourg, where sales of items downloaded by customers in Europe and Africa are recorded--and taxed at a discounted rate.
- It created the "Double Irish With a Dutch Sandwich," a much-emulated tax-avoidance strategy of routing profits through the Netherlands to Ireland and then through the Caribbean.
More from Newser
Homeownership Falls to 15-Year Low
Wall Street to Slash 21K Jobs
Billionaire Building Titanic II
Apple says it is only following the law, but last year Apple paid $3.3 billion in cash taxes on $34.2 billion in profits worldwide--its US tax bill would have been about $2.4 billion higher without its tax-avoidance moves, according to one study. That gave Apple a tax rate of 9.8%, low even for a tech company, and much lower than Walmart's 24%, which the Times describes as par for the course for non-tech companies.Apple's situation illustrates a growing problem for governments around the world in the information age, as many technology companies sell digital items that can be sold from anywhere, and reap royalties from intellectual property like patents. To wit, the S&P 500's 71 tech companies over the last two years paid a cash tax rate one-third lower than its fellow S&P firms.
--Written by Mark Russell of Newser
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV