The broad indexes saw slight declines, after Standard & Poor's cut its long-term and short-term debt ratings for 11 Spanish banks, following the agency's downgrade of Spain's sovereign debt to "BBB+A-2" from "A/A-1" last week. S&P said that the sovereign rating cut had "direct negative rating implications for the banks that we rate at or above the sovereign rating on Spain," and that "the factors behind the downgrade of Spain could have potentially negative implications for our view of the economic risk and industry risk affecting the Spanish banking industry."
With six Spanish banks on "credit watch negative," more downgrades could be coming, as S&P expects "either resolve or update the CreditWatch placements."
The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) pulled back over 1% to close at 48.28, with all 24 index components showing declines for the session.In its first-quarter earnings announcement on April 19, Morgan Stanley reported $1.3 billion in net exposure to Spanish paper as of March 31, although sovereign exposure to Spain was a negative $155 million. Morgan Stanley's shares have returned 15% year-to-date, following a 44% decline during 2011.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV