In the first quarter of 2012, the Company continued to achieve loan growth, with its loan portfolio increasing $15.2 million organically on a linked-quarter basis and advancing $44.2 million overall compared with the year-earlier quarter. For the first quarter ended 2012, the Company's loan portfolio, including loans acquired through FDIC-assisted acquisitions, totaled $562.5 million, which increased $1.9 million on a linked-quarter basis as a result of organic loan growth of $15.2 million. This increase was partially offset by loan pay-downs in the FDIC-assisted portfolios. Total deposits stood at $868.7 million at the end of the first quarter of 2012, down 2% or $15.5 million from $884.2 million for the fourth quarter of 2011, driven primarily by planned runoff of time deposits.
Accounting for FDIC-Assisted Loans
The Company performs ongoing assessments of the estimated cash flows of its acquired FDIC-assisted loan portfolios. The fair value of the FDIC-assisted loan portfolios consisted of $95.5 million in covered and $17.4 million in non-covered loans for the first quarter ended 2012 compared with $107.5 million in covered and $18.7 million in non-covered loans for the fourth quarter ended 2011. The principal balance of the FDIC-assisted loan portfolios totaled $209.8 million for the first quarter ended 2012 compared with $228.4 million as of the fourth quarter ended 2011. The details of the accounting for the FDIC-assisted loan portfolios for the first quarter of 2012 are as follows:
- Covered loans acquired in FDIC-assisted acquisitions decreased $12.0 million to $95.5 million;
- Non-covered loans acquired in FDIC-assisted acquisitions decreased $1.3 million to $17.4 million;
- The FDIC loss-share receivable associated with covered loans acquired in FDIC-assisted acquisitions decreased $1.0 million to $82.9 million;
- The accretion for the FDIC loss-share receivable turned negative $498,000;
- The non-accretable discount decreased $5.4 million to $84.1 million; and
- The accretable discount decreased $100,000 to $12.7 million.
For the first quarter ended 2012, net charge-offs for both the covered and non-covered loans were fully provided by the associated loan discounts and expected reimbursement from the FDIC and did not affect the Company's loan loss reserve. The FDIC loss-share receivable associated with covered FDIC-assisted loans decreased $1.0 million from $83.9 million for the prior quarter to $82.9 million primarily, driven by negative accretion of $843,000 affecting the loss-share receivable asset that was associated with the improvement in expected cash flows of the loss-share performing portfolios.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV