NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As a professional money manager over the last 18 years, I have sat across the desk from thousands of prospects and clients. I hear a lot of the same stories over and over again. I believe that that there is a very important lesson that I can impart to you investors, who are now reading this article.
I can remember watching one of the greatest comedians off all time, Johnny Carson, as he did one of his signature sketches, "the Great Karnak." Johnny would hold a sealed envelope up to his forehead and seemingly be able to read what was inside.
What does this have to do with the stock market and investments you ask? Well, let me tell you. I run a smaller boutique advisory firm in San Diego that is far away from the noise of Wall Street. Oh, I have been back to floor of the Stock Exchange many times. I am also connected on a daily basis through all of the major financial networks beaming through the televisions in my office. I have also appeared many times on those same networks through my West Coast hookup, but the proximity ends there.
Prospects generally come to me for one of two reasons: They are not happy with their current advisor or they are weary of trying to manage their own money. They have found me through my radio show, my weekly newsletter, the app that I invented, or media appearances. They usually tell me that I talk about stocks that they do not hear about in the mainstream financial media.This is where the "Great Karnak" story comes in. I can literally hold their big wire house firm brokerage statement up to my forehead and see most of the stocks that are in their portfolio without looking. I see General Electric (GE). I see Merck (MRK). I see Pfizer (PFE). I see Cisco (PFE). I see Johnson & Johnson (JNJ). And on, and on, and on...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV