NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Shares of Goldcorp Inc. fell to their lowest level in nearly two years Monday after the Canadian company said a Chilean court suspended an environmental permit for its El Morro copper and gold project in north-central Chile.
THE SPARK: The Supreme Court of Chile issued its decision Friday, the Vancouver mining company said. The permit had been approved about a year earlier, on March 14, 2011.
Goldcorp said that the suspension will remain in effect until the Chilean environmental permitting authority corrects deficiencies identified by the Antofogasta Court of Appeals.
Field work at the mine site was suspended but activities unrelated to site construction, such as engineering and design, will continue, Goldcorp said.Mine officials will meet with representatives the environmental permitting authority to determine how they proceed and what activities will be permitted to continue. Goldcorp said that the company will cooperate to address the deficiencies. Goldcorp, which is based in Vancouver, owns 70 percent of the mine. New Gold Inc. owns the remaining 30 percent. SHARE ACTION: Shares of Goldcorp fell 84 cents, or 2.2 percent, to $38.28, their level since July 2010, when they hit $38.07. The stock has ranged from $38.17 to $56.31 in the past 52 weeks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV