Funds Get a Boost from Africa, Mideast
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- One of the hottest performers this year is Nile Pan Africa Fund (NAFAX), which has returned 26.7% and outpaced the S&P 500 by 14 percentage points, according to Morningstar. Part of the reason for the strong showing is that many countries in Africa and the Middle East are booming.
Boosted by high oil prices, petroleum producers are enjoying some of the best results. Last year Saudia Arabia's economy grew 6.8%. In addition, consumer companies are achieving record sales as millions of people leave impoverished villages and join the urban middle class. In 2011, Sub-Saharan Africa grew 4.9%, and the World Banks says that the region should grow 5.3% this year.
Funds with sizable stakes in the fastest-growing countries include Harding Loevner Frontier Emerging Markets (HLMOX), T. Rowe Price Africa & Middle East (TRAMX), and Guggenheim Frontier Markets (FRN). All the funds are young and volatile, so they are only appropriate for aggressive investors. But it is well worth monitoring the portfolios because markets in Africa and the Middle East could grow steadily for years to come.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV