Updated from 11:26 a.m. EST to provide analyst comments regarding in the seventeenth paragraph.
The partnership sees Microsoft and Barnes & Noble teaming up to form a joint venture for the NOOK tablet, bringing together Barnes & Noble's digital and college businesses.
The tablet market has been dominated by Apple's (AAPL) iPad, but the joint venture makes Barnes & Noble a formidable player in the space. This could also impact other tablet players who aren't used to going up against the marketing muscle of Microsoft and Barnes & Noble.Here are the winners and losers from today's announcement:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV