CEO Kevin Cummings said that "excluding the one-time charge for the integration of Brooklyn Federal, net income was $22.7 million or $0.21 per share which reflects a return on tangible equity of 9.80%."
Cummings added that the company was continuing its plan "to become a full service commercial bank as commercial loans now account for 42% of our loan portfolio."
Investors Bancorp's total loans grew 3% during the first quarter, to $9.0 billion as of March 31, reflecting a "continued focus on generating multi-family and commercial real estate loans, which was partially offset by pay downs and payoffs of loans." Total assets were $11.3 billion as of March 31.
Investors Bancorp's chief operating officer Domenick Cama says that the company has been "steadfast in our approach -- when we need the capital we will take the second step," and that "taking the capital in the first step [in October 2005] and actually doing something with it was important."Cama says that when he and Cummings joined Investors Bancorp in 2003, the company had about $5.5 billion in total assets, with $4.5 billion invested in securities. "The bank has gone to $11. 2 billion in assets, with over $9 billion in loans, so it is our intention to become a full service commercial bank here in the New Jersey/New York region," he says." With over half of the company's $2 billion in multifamily mortgage loans in Brooklyn, Cama says that Investors Bancorp will keep expanding there. The company opened its 10th New York Branch on Sunday, in the Midwood section of Brooklyn, and Cama says "We have leases for two additional branches, signed, and are going to continue our expansion east." Interested in more on Investors Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. To contact the writer, click here: Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV