- Our excellent safety performance continued in 2011 with a total incidence rate (TIR) of 1.58 and a world-class lost workday incidence rate (LWIR) of 0.20. We believe that zero injuries is achievable and continue to strive toward that goal.
- Our 2011 energy initiatives moved us nearly half the way toward keeping our 2009 Save Energy Now LEADER pledge to reduce energy per unit of production 25 percent by 2019.
- We completed a $45 million renewable energy project at our Quinnesec Mill in Michigan that will deliver 28 megawatts of green energy, an amount equivalent to the electricity used by 21,000 households annually.
- Sixty percent of the energy generated by Verso in 2011 came from renewable, greenhouse gas-neutral biomass.
- 70 percent of the wood fiber Verso used was third-party certified to a credible forest management certification standard and all four Verso mills maintained compliance with the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC™ - PwC-PEFC-319) and Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC ® License Code FSC ®-C019085) chain of custody standards.
- We increased our sale of chain-of-custody certified papers to 33% of total sales, up from 26% in 2010.
- The company completed an innovative, two-year pilot project with several customers and other stakeholders that added 1.4 million certified acres in Maine, an increase of 20 percent.
- Each of Verso’s four mills applied for and received ISO 14001:2004 recertification after successfully completing an independent audit of its environmental management system.
- Verso once again had a near perfect environmental compliance record with only one notice of violation. Cited issues were corrected immediately and no fines were assessed.
- Verso’s combined employee and company United Way contributions totaled more than $300,000, a 3 percent increase over 2010.
Verso Paper Corp. Reports 2011 Sustainability Progress In “Count On Verso”
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.