In recent discussions with our shareholders following the publication of Aviva’s remuneration report on 21 March 2012, a number of them have voiced concerns about some elements of the report.
These concerns have mainly centred on how we structure the compensation paid when we recruit executive directors and whether overall levels of remuneration, driven by the operating performance in 2011, appropriately reflect changes in shareholder value through the year.
The Remuneration Committee believed that the proposed levels of remuneration were appropriate reward for Aviva’s operating performance and strategic progress in 2011, as well as for attracting and retaining key executive directors, and accordingly were in shareholders’ long term interests.
However reflecting on shareholder feedback, the Remuneration Committee has agreed to review how Aviva will compensate future joining executives for the loss of entitlement from their previous role. In addition, the Committee has accepted Mr Moss’s decision not to accept the salary increase granted to him in 2012.We will continue to consult with shareholders on executive remuneration. Scott Wheway, Chairman of the Remuneration Committee, said: “We take the views of our shareholders very seriously. I am disappointed that we haven’t done that as well as we should have on this occasion. A number of shareholders have indicated that they would like to see a different approach to the way we compensate senior directors on recruitment and an even closer correlation between our pay packages and shareholder returns. Having listened to them, we have sought to address their concerns and will continue to engage with them on this matter.” Notes to editors: About Aviva
- Aviva provides 43 million customers with insurance, savings and investment products.
- We are the UK’s largest insurer and one of Europe’s leading providers of life and general insurance.
- We combine strong life insurance, general insurance and asset management businesses under one powerful brand.
- We are committed to serving our customers well in order to build a stronger, sustainable business, which makes a positive contribution to society, and for which our people are proud to work.
- The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includes images, company and product information and a news release archive
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/video/.
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV