With Shuttle's End, Space Firms Seek New Direction
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) â¿¿ Less than a year after NASA ended its shuttle program, players in America's space business are casting around for new direction.
United Technologies Corp. is the most recent company to announce it will scale back its role in space exploration. The Hartford conglomerate announced in mid-March it is selling Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, to help raise $3 billion to finance the purchase of aerospace parts maker Goodrich Corp.
Greg Hayes, chief financial officer at United Technologies, says that without a national space policy, growth will be limited at Rocketdyne.Other companies have shifted business from space exploration while high-profile space travel becomes a commercial venture, including plans by Space Exploration Technologies Corp. to launch a capsule to the space station and a group of wealthy backers hoping to mine asteroids.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV