Sothebys (BID): Today's Featured Specialty Retail Winner
Sothebys (BID) pushed the Specialty Retail industry higher today making it today's featured specialty retail winner. The industry as a whole closed the day up 0.9%. By the end of trading, Sothebys rose 39 cents (1%) to $39.20 on light volume. Throughout the day, 884,336 shares of Sothebys exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 1.2 million shares. The stock ranged in a price between $38.60-$39.71 after having opened the day at $38.99 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $38.81. Other companies within the Specialty Retail industry that increased today were: TravelCenters of America (TA), up 9.1%, America's Car-Mart (CRMT), up 5.6%, Mecox Lane (MCOX), up 5.5%, and Books-A-Million (BAMM), up 5.4%. Sotheby's, together with its subsidiaries, operates as an auctioneer of authenticated fine and decorative art, jewelry, and collectibles in the United States, the United Kingdom, China, France, and internationally. The company operates in three segments: Auction, Finance, and Dealer. Sothebys has a market cap of $2.55 billion and is part of the services sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 15.3, equal to the average specialty retail industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 36% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are four analysts that rate Sothebys a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and one rates it a hold. TheStreet Ratings rates Sothebys as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
- You can view the full Sothebys Ratings Report.
- Use our specialty retail section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV