NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- I got a Roku player last month. For want of a better phrase, it's a poor man's Apple (AAPL) TV. You hook it up to your television. Then, instantly, you can stream all sorts of programming, sourced from apps I have never heard of to Pandora (P), Netflix (NFLX), Amazon (AMZN) instant video. Not to mention the offerings from all of the major professional sports leagues and most of the major cable networks. It's really an excellent device.
Because I like old sitcoms, I immediately hit up the apps that I know have them. As a Prime member, I can catch practically every episode of Cheers via Amazon for free. Amazon also has The Three Stooges, but they charge $1.99 per episode. My wife would kill me if I dropped hundreds to watch the entire catalog. Sony's (SNE) Crackle delivers the Stooges for free. My experience with Crackle, however, was short-lived.
I have always wondered why the free service has not been more of a challenger to Netflix and Hulu. Now, I know why. It's just not very good.While I do not mind the ads that run during programming, I am not a fan of how they randomly appear during the middle of a poke in the eye from Moe or a nyuk, nyuk, nyuk from Curly. I can't seem to put my figure on it, but Crackle feels clunkly; it's just not as sharp and seamless as Netflix, Amazon and Hulu. I guess you get what you pay for. I have never wondered why Amazon does not provide serious competition to Netflix. As I have noted
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV