NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks finished Friday with polite gains as investors looked past a tepid report on economic growth in the first quarter and concentrated on what's shaping up to be a decent first-quarter earnings season.
Amazon (AMZN) was the big winner on Friday, surging nearly 16% after its blowout quarter. More than half of the components of the S&P 500 have reported their numbers now with nearly 73% of companies exceeding Wall Street's consensus view, according to Thomson Reuters.
The year-over-year profit growth rate is running above 7%, better than the flat performance that analysts were expecting.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV